Sunday, October 29, 2006

A college in India

I had been on a trip to India. I was on my journey to a nearby place when I had the pleaseure of visiting this college from inside. One of the persons I met there quite simply put it in these words "The students who do not get admission anywhere else, come to this college" Its a Commerce and Arts college. Having been a student of a prestigious engineering college called YCCE, at Nagpur, which is one of the excellent colleges in the region, what I saw in this commerce college was surprising and disturbing.

Since it was a time of diwali vacation, most of the classrooms were vacant, but a glance inside the classroom revealed that the students regularly attend the classes. Most of the classrooms I visited had filthy stains of 'paan' spit in all possible corners. I did not have a high res camera so here are a couple of pictures taken on my mobile phone



Outside in the college corridor, there was a bird's nest hanging from the lights, it wasn't a pretty sight either.
Thats the kind of variety you get in India, On one hand there are IITs and IIMs which rank amongst the topmost institutions in the world and on the other hand there are colleges like these. Lets hope this college will change for better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home