Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cool Auto Rickshaw

I had never imagined that it may become 'cool' to own an autorickshaw. Growing up in the city of Nagpur, the cycle-rickshaws were an integral part of life. I used to go to school in a monthly hire rickshaw when I was in 5th standard. Devidas (the rickshaw owner) used to carry four or five of us to school from our home. Sometime around that time, he bought an auto-rickshaw and we went to school sometimes in an auto. That was cool.

As we grew up the coolness quotient of different vehicles changed...
It was cool to go to school on your own bicycle (6th standard)
It was cool to have a moped, usually a Luna TFR (10th / 11th)
It was cool to have a scooter (12th +)
It was cool to have a motorbikes like Hero Honda CD 100 or KB 100 or YAMAHA RX 100 (BE)

When I moved to Mumbai in 1997, the definition of coolness changed again, and we were the bunch who would consider travelling in an auto as a privilege. Friends who could afford that were fondly referred to as 'Ma' and 'Mama'. During those days, It was cool for the rickshaw wallahs in mumbai (MH02 or MH03) to have 'Deck' in their 'rick'

If I go to Mumbai now, will I see these really cool new autos from TVS? I assure you that in Mumbai, the ricks definitely need seat belts, and these could come handy in the suburban Mumbai. As 'Cool Cab' is to normal taxi, I think these can become the 'cool rick' of suburban Mumbai. I can see myself getting into one of these outside Andheri Station and saying 'Dost, deck lagao aur chalo saat bungla'

Still a 3 seater, driver will be more confortable using the steering wheel instead of the traditional handle (Hamara Bajaj)

Devidas would have loved to get his hand on one of these.



1 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger FunkiBluDawg said...

Abey Kya..??

Yeh khatara rick me speakers nahi ???
Bole Toh jhaankar beats kidhar se sunega ??

:-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home